8th September 2017:
Special Products Ltd is pleased to announce that Epistatus® 10 mg Oromucosal Solution, Midazolam, is now available to prescribe. The NHS price for a single 10mg in 1mL prefilled syringe is £45.76.
Epistatus® is licensed for use in the treatment of prolonged, acute convulsive seizures in children and adolescents aged 10 to less than 18 years, who have been diagnosed with epilepsy1. Buccal midazolam is recommended by NICE2 for the management of prolonged acute convulsive seizures, and is preferred by most patients and carers compared to the administration of rectal diazepam 3,4.
Epistatus is presented “ready-to-use” in a novel, pre-filled, single-dose syringe, to provide carers with the confidence that they are administering the correct dose1,5. The pre-filled syringe is contained within a specially-designed, secure and tamper-evident protective packaging.
Dr Rohit Shankar FRCPsych, Consultant in Adult Developmental Neuropsychiatry – CFT and Hon. Associate Clinical Professor – Exeter Medical School commented: “The importance of having an alternate licensed preparation for use in the treatment of prolonged, acute convulsive seizures, especially in a different mode of delivery is an asset to both clinicians and patients”.
In response to market research and insights, Special Products Ltd has invested heavily in the development of this new bespoke syringe, which is designed to allow simple administration of the dose into the buccal cavity5.
Community Pharmacists can obtain Epistatus® 10mg/1mL pre-filled syringes exclusively via Alliance Healthcare.
Hospitals can order Epistatus® 10mg/1mL pre-filled syringes directly from Veriton Pharma www.veritonpharma.com
For further information on Epistatus 10 mg oromucosal midazolam pre-filled syringes, please visit www.epistatus.co.uk
For media enquiries or if you would like a packshot of Epistatus please contact Helen Lawn & Associates. Telephone 01892 525141 / 07879 818247 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Epistatus 10mg oromucosal solution. Summary of Product Characteristics.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (2012). The epilepsies: the diagnosis and management of epilepsies in adults and children in primary care. NICE clinical guideline CG 137.
- Nakken K and Lossius M. Buccal midazolam or rectal diazepam for treatment of residential adult patients with serial seizures or status epilepticus. Acta Neurol Scand: (2011); 124:99-103.
- Ashrafi MR et al. Efficacy and usability of buccal midazolam in controlling acute prolonged convulsive seizures in children. European Journal of Paediatric Neurology (2010); doi10.1016/j.ejpn.2010.05.009.
- Data on file – Excerpts from Epistatus Patent Application.
Date of preparation August 2017
Epistatus® prescribing information can be found here.